AnimeNation Forums

AnimeNation Forums (http://www.animenation.net/forums/index.php)
-   AnimeNation Community (http://www.animenation.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Forum Feedback: New Changes, Suggestions, and Comments!! (http://www.animenation.net/forums/showthread.php?t=227816)

Lemina January 17th, 2010 06:17 AM

Forum Feedback: New Changes, Suggestions, and Comments!!

We have already created a similar thread like this in our private forum. As always, we're interested in constructive input on ways to improve the AnimeNation Forums with things that need to be addressed here and help the community grow. Please post your thoughts and/or suggestions here. We can discuss about anything here to make AN a better place. If you'd like to keep your input private, feel free to drop any one of the Mods or Admin with a PM.

Soluzar January 17th, 2010 07:57 AM

Consistency. Consistency is the main important thing. You all need to be reading from the same page in the playbook. That's all I've got to say, really. This has improved, but there are still unfortunate examples where one mod isn't doing things the same way, and that detracts from the fairness of the system.

Other than that, there's a few suggestions I've privately shared with Gibb regarding matters that honestly have already been discussed to some extent in public threads anyway. Stuff like making the hentai forum possible to opt out of, they weren't really my suggestions to begin with, I just expressed my support for them. I've been given to understand that they are already under consideration, so there's no need to really raise them here when all the staff already know.

Keep doing a good job, folks. With very few exceptions, I've thought that the moderation of this forum has improved substantially in the last year, and is at a most excellent and fair standard.

ryushe January 17th, 2010 02:27 PM

Like Soluzar, consistency is the only thing I could ask for. I understand the concept -- different Mods, different practices but sometimes the way things are handled here at AN immediately reminds me of that bizarre village in Hot Fuzz.

Other than that, I have no other complaints what so ever since this is the best forums I've ever been apart of and the community here is second to none. :)

taily January 17th, 2010 02:53 PM

I have a suggestion about spoiler tags; instead of those "highlight to read" ones, ones where it is all hidden until you press a button saying "show" and after pressed "hide" which do exactly what it says on the tin to all text, GIFs and pictures in the spoiler tag. This would mean:

•People could hide page stretching images from sight (such as the desktop thread or the cutest/hottest anime character thread). I know one arguement that will pop up against this is "AN is not an imageboard, and this feature will encourage members to post excessive amouts of images. We should not need to hide images like this" but we DO need to hide them, as in those threads I mentioned and many others, your almost expected to post large pictures. So get over it, as long as you make it clear it doesn't mean you can just be a complete brandwith hog. This also applies to GIFs obv. highlight spoilers don't work on pictures of course, which also means...

•you can post spoilerific images and GIFs freely, instead of having to link to it or censor the picture.

•If you are using AN on an iPod or phone (as I am now) you can actually look at the spoilers, because most of them have no highlight feature.

•the most debateable one, but if you go off-topic in a thread, you can put it as a spoiler for members who don't want to see your comments. sure you can do this with the normal feature, but the highlight one takes up even more space than the actual text

ryushe January 17th, 2010 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taily (Post 6750939)
•If you are using AN on an iPod or phone (as I am now) you can actually look at the spoilers, because most of them have no highlight feature.

I completely forgot about this one and I agree wholeheartedly. It's not really a problem on my phone since it has a turn selection on/off option but with my iPod touch, there's no way -- at least one that I know of -- to highlight spoilers. Again, it's not really a problem for me since my phone does have said feature, but for those who don't, I can imagine it's a pain.

tenshi_a January 17th, 2010 03:11 PM

A bit more PM space would be nice.

Oh and a sticky list of what people's names used to be if they change them.

Jae Hoon January 18th, 2010 02:25 PM

If anyone has a screen shot of the oldschool AN forum skin please send it to Gibb. I asked behind the scenes if this was possible and he said he would need to see it first to see if it would work.

Hisoka January 18th, 2010 02:30 PM

If anyone has screen shots or saved thread material of when AN was green and black, hook us up with those.

tenshi_a January 18th, 2010 03:10 PM

Ask Sharp-kun. ^_^

You know, since you're supposed to, and because he's occasionally made threads with old screenshots of stuff...

http://www.animenation.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=214934
http://www.animenation.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=222654

He might have some screenshots of the old styles.

Gibb January 18th, 2010 03:13 PM

I'm already well on the way to having a Dark theme finished (black and grey backgrounds, white text, green links). I just need to make some buttons and I'm good to go. :D

Soluzar January 18th, 2010 03:16 PM

http://web.archive.org/web/200202060...on.net/forums/

Try this...? I mean, I wasn't around for it, but that's what AN would have looked like before the new blue colourscheme.

Jae Hoon January 18th, 2010 03:25 PM

Best AN Skin evar.

Caster13 January 18th, 2010 03:45 PM

I say allow a bigger signature space. Not a lot bigger, just maybe up to 8 lines instead of 6. There are some seriously sig worthy posts to quote that don't fit in the 6 line limit, remember Desslock's Ultimate Facepalm? Nobody could quote it unless they made the text size 1 and even then it barely fit, and besides that doesn't look right. Or what about quoting two short posts? It doesn't fit in the limit.

Sora N January 18th, 2010 09:38 PM

If it were at all possible... I think a bit more of PM space would be nice. ^_^

Jatz January 18th, 2010 10:00 PM

• I'd like to see some of the BB code buttons added to the quick quote box. Sometimes I'm too lazy to do it by manually.
  • I never did like the default icons on vBulletin. So I was thinking you could use the AN favicon (much bigger of course) and, like, gray it out for no new posts and color for new posts. I have no idea what to have for hot threads, new thread, or any of the other plain icons though.
  • Quirky descriptions to the new forums.
  • A you've-already-posted-here indicator.
  • Invisible registration form fields to stop spambots

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soluzar (Post 6750734)
Consistency. Consistency is the main important thing. You all need to be reading from the same page in the playbook. That's all I've got to say, really. This has improved, but there are still unfortunate examples where one mod isn't doing things the same way, and that detracts from the fairness of the system.

Other than that, there's a few suggestions I've privately shared with Gibb regarding matters that honestly have already been discussed to some extent in public threads anyway. Stuff like making the hentai forum possible to opt out of, they weren't really my suggestions to begin with, I just expressed my support for them. I've been given to understand that they are already under consideration, so there's no need to really raise them here when all the staff already know.

Keep doing a good job, folks. With very few exceptions, I've thought that the moderation of this forum has improved substantially in the last year, and is at a most excellent and fair standard.

The shower scene thread for instance.