AnimeNation Forums

Go Back   AnimeNation Forums > Anime & Related Forums > Anime (Genre/Series/Studio) > Studio Ghibli

Old September 25th, 2010, 01:17 AM   #31
Levo
The Invader

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxDeus1 View Post
I absolutely cannot sit through any of Miyazaki's films, especially as far as anime films I grew up watching, stuff like Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Vampire Hunter D, Ninja Scroll, Roujin Z and such other later films like Metropolis and Steamboy. I tried watching Kiki's Delivery Service and Princess Mononoke but found them to be quite a snore fest. All that being said, I am definitely gonna say Miyazaki is overrated due to every fan I know that loves and praises his movies like they're plated gold rip's my head off everytime there's a debate about any Miyazaki film.

Googling Hayao Miyazaki proves how overrated he is. His wikipedia speaks for itself as if he is a god. It's one of those "too long, didn't read" type things.
Well do you also find Osamu Tezuka's work a snore fest? You probably do, but it doesn't make him any less of a god

"Mad Bull gives you wings!" - Rei (Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth)
Levo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2010, 02:09 AM   #32
Alex Decay

The only movie of his that I've seen is Spirited Away, and that movie is terrible, but it's legendary. And any terrible movie that's legendary, is overrated. Therefore, by default, I say 'yes.'
Old September 25th, 2010, 03:31 AM   #33
Gray
Annoyed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexKeller View Post
The only movie of his that I've seen is Spirited Away, and that movie is terrible, but it's legendary. And any terrible movie that's legendary, is overrated. Therefore, by default, I say 'yes.'
Or your taste in films is just incredibly shallow.
Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2010, 01:25 AM   #34
CanisWolfred
Big Bad

I was gonna say no, but after reading some of the comments, I can see where they're getting at. I always liked Miyazaki's films for either being strange but fun and visually creative works that are interesting to behold (albeing not exactly stimulating mentally), or because they were more homely, down to earth stories that I can relate to and appreciate. While I'd still say he has a better track record than many other directors as far as my tastes are concerned, he doesn't exactly seem to excel at telling an interesting and compelling storyline (most of the ones I saw relied on simple themes and twisted versions of western works), and it doesn't seem like he really branches out (does he really need to, though?). So yes, I would say he's pretty overrated, even if he will (probably) always be one of my favorite directors.

Arooo~
CanisWolfred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2010, 02:35 AM   #35
old hat
Flame-Haired Red-Hot-Eyed Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haru! View Post
Or your taste in films is just incredibly shallow.
DING DING DING we have a winner!
Science isn't about authority or white coats; it's about following a method. That method is built on core principles: precision and transparency; being clear about your methods; being honest about your results; and drawing a clear line between the results, on the one hand, and your judgment calls about how those results support a hypothesis. Ben Goldacre
97% consensus? No, not really.
old hat is offline   Reply With Quote