AnimeNation Forums

Go Back   AnimeNation Forums > Anime & Related Forums > Anime (Genre/Series/Studio) > Studio Ghibli

Old October 8th, 2009, 07:44 AM   #1
yannisnicolaou

Icon01 studio ghibli questionnaire *HELP ME*

hello
if you could take a few minutes to fill in the following questionnaire, i am doing a research project on the underlying themes in studio ghibli so if possible relate your answers when suitable to that =]

Rough Studio Ghibli questionnaire.

Have you seen any of the following films?
Princess mononoke [ ]
Howl’s moving castle [ ]
Nausicaa valley of the wind [ ]
Spirited away [ ]
Totoro [ ]

Which was your favourite?
………………………………………………………………………………………………………… ………………

If possible try and place each of the films stated above in level of maturity (immature to mature )

Do you feel there is any deeper meaning to miyazaki’s motion pictures? Are any of the following themes included in any of the films?
war [ ]
Love [ ]
Environment [ ]
Afterlife [ ]
evil [ ]

What age range do you think miyazaki places his audiences and why?
………………………………………………………………………………………………………… ………………………………………………

do you think miyazaki's films would appeal to an older audience if they were created differently (through different styles of animation ) explain your answer.
........................................ ................

thank you very much for helping me and if you feel i am missing some crucial points feel free to point them out =]
yannisnicolaou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2010, 01:56 AM   #2
Dreamstryder
Science-Fantasy Fan

"Have you seen any of the following films?" All of those listed.
"Which was your favourite?" Princess Mononoke (Porco Rosso, unlisted, #2)

By order of audience age? Young-old:
Totoro, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke & Nausicaa being even

"Are any of the following themes included in any of the films?"
war: all but Spirited Away & Totoro.
Love: different kinds in every one
Environment: all of them, though Howl's Moving Castle not so much
Afterlife: Is not generally dealt with; Miyazaki's films are about life. A better subject would be "death and life interlinked," which would be Princess Mononoke & Nausicaa. Maybe Totoro.
evil: the concept is more a side-effect of selfish thinking and others' points of view; it's touched in all listed but Totoro.

"What age range do you think miyazaki places his audiences and why?"
………………………………………………………………………………………………………… …………………Usually the intended audience of the movie matches the age of the main character. The types of themes get more contemplative the older the main character is.

"do you think miyazaki's films would appeal to an older audience if they were created differently (through different styles of animation ) explain your answer."
........................................ ................
Overall, no. There is a tendency in Japanese animation to stylize the human form more in young audience movies (bright colors, sculptured hair, big eyes) than in older-audience ones (dark colors, more realistic hair). Miyazaki's style does not strike me as being in either extreme, so it may at first glance feel approachable to a wide audience. The narratives themselves may interest the younger audience with different things than the older audiences; the multi-layered nature of the movie keeps that wide audience.

I think the telling factor, however is the sophistication of the story: Porco Rosso & Totoro have the same style, but the major subject matter and themes tell the difference in audience.
Dreamstryder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hayao miyazaki, studio ghibli