AnimeNation Forums

Go Back   AnimeNation Forums > Official Forums > AnimeNation.com

AnimeNation.com Ordering and product questions, suggestions and feedback for the AnimeNation Store.

Old October 20th, 2010, 01:29 AM   #1
ryushe
All Hail the Earth Empire

Animenation.com the App

I just got my new Android phone about two weeks ago (The HTC G2 aka The Vision) and I've been sorta' app crazy lately and just a few days ago I downloaded the official XDA app, which, in its basic form, is a very neat mobile version of the site and its fourm. That later had me thinking about an Animenation app, one with a dual funtion. One part the Animenation store (sorta' like the Amazon app on iTunes and the Android marketplace) and the other the fourms, where in place of visiting it via the browser, you just launch the app and you're good to go.

Heck, you could even go a step futher and add push notifications for various things on the site such as when you get a PM, a thread you subscribed to got a new post, a sale on a item you was looking at, etc. Don't know how hard that would be to spring this into action, but I really think it would be a great thing overall. Thoughts?

Last edited by ryushe; October 20th, 2010 at 03:25 AM.
Old October 20th, 2010, 05:55 AM   #2
Gene
Admin-guy

Sounds cool! Could we actually get it done soon? Will have to look into it
Old October 21st, 2010, 05:19 AM   #3
ryushe

Awesome! I really think it'd be really cool and help AN in the long run. Hope it comes through.
Old October 21st, 2010, 07:19 AM   #4
Gibb
アサギ

Gotta be careful tho. Apple likes to take a cut of everything they can get their hands on, and you'd likely have to have a special deal with them so they don't take 30% of everything you sell. I'm not sure how the app process works for in-app store type purchases, but I know things like app upgrades and such require 30% to go to apple.

One of the best alternatives is to simply create a mobile version of the current website, and redirect users to it when they come in via a mobile browser. For good examples of this, go to facebook's website on your phone. Most big name websites have a mobile version as well.
Old October 21st, 2010, 07:45 PM   #5
ryushe

Good point. I knew Apple took a cut, but I didn't know it was as much as 30%. That's a bummer. :/
Old October 22nd, 2010, 01:38 AM   #6
Jon
OG

You can still make a Android app, right? Not sure how that works though.
Old October 23rd, 2010, 09:15 AM   #7
Smith
Bearful

There was a time when a company needed a website. Then a Facebook. Then a Twitter. Now it seems companies want to have their own apps. I'd download an AN App. It'd probably bring more traffic, since people will search 'anime' and 'manga' often in the app store.
I also have a iPhone 3Gs.
Former AN S-Moderator
Old October 29th, 2010, 12:42 AM   #8
animegurl

A mobile version would be really nice. About 95% of the time I'm on AN, I'm on my phone, but I can't get apps (otherwise it's a great idea) so I have to go in on my mobile browser.

Last edited by animegurl; October 29th, 2010 at 08:40 PM.
Old November 16th, 2010, 10:30 PM   #9
Smith
Bearful

Noticed ANN(AnimeNewsNetwork) has an app, downloaded it the other day. Pretty basic, straightforward and frankly, rather boring and stale. I'm probably going to delete it off my iPhone.
Former AN S-Moderator