AnimeNation Forums

Go Back   AnimeNation Forums > Anime & Related Forums > Video Games

Video Games Need clues or cheats? Looking for recommendations or reviews? PC and console heaven is right this way.

Old April 27th, 2012, 01:39 PM   #16
Gibb
アサギ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Knight View Post
Then don't make it ****ing Smash Bros.

I hope Ninty sues Sony to hell and back for patent infringement or whatever. This is an insult to our collective intelligences.

-----

I am way more pissed off by this than I should be.
No doubt. If Sony can be sued for making a game like Smash Bros, then every other game developer in the past 20 years should be sued for making games within a certain type or genre.

You could say Skullgirls is a rip off of Blaz Blue, which is a rip off of Street Fighter II.

You could say Call of Duty is a rip off of Wolfenstein 3D.

I will admit this looks more like Smash Bros than I would have hoped. Had they made it more 3D-ish where you ran around a coliseum type place and everybody needed their own screen, it might be kind of interesting and different.
Gibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2012, 01:50 PM   #17
Holy Knight
Magnet Knight

^ No, no, no.

SG is not BB, which is not SFIII. They share the same concept (idea), but are very, very different in execution. Where patent infringement comes into play is when the execution of an idea is replicated within a similar concept.

Just by looking at this game, you can tell the "feel" is almost the exact same as Smash. In fact, this is Smash, for all intents and purposes. I have no idea what went through the exec's heads to approve this, but I am quite certain they had the best legal advice to make an almost similar game while changing the minimum acceptable to not be patent infringement.

Not only that, but this is not a "Smash" game as envisioned by Sony; they're just blatantly ripping off Ninty. I don't see how gamers can swallow this. You'd have to be gullible to the extreme.
Holy Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2012, 01:53 PM   #18
ryushe
All Hail the Earth Empire

I don't know, I'm not as offended by this as HK is (Which is surprising to see) but this game is without a doubt Smash Bros. just with Sony's IP. Skullgirls, BlazBlue and SFII, even though of the same genre, are all vastly different from one another. Same goes for CoD and other shooters that precede or come after it.

I don't know, something about this is slightly gross. Not the game per se, I think it looks interesting, but more along the fact of Sony trying to call this spade anything other than a spade is what's bothering me.
ryushe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2012, 02:01 PM   #19
KazumaII
Hmmmm

I have to admit I am quite curious and want to play a demo of this. I hope Solid Snake is involved in some way. I was thinking Old Snake and would like to see Revolver Ocelot .
Old April 27th, 2012, 04:29 PM   #20
Siendra

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryushe View Post

I don't know, something about this is slightly gross. Not the game per se, I think it looks interesting, but more along the fact of Sony trying to call this spade anything other than a spade is what's bothering me.
Yeah, I think it's the fact that they've totally dodged the issue that's bugging me too. There's paying homage to something, there's being inspired by something, and then there's just flat out ripping an idea off. The distinction between ripping something off and being inspired by something can be crossed easily just by saying "Yeah - we looked to some great party games like Smash Bros., Power Stone, and even a little bit of something like Magicka and decided we wanted to capture a similar spirit." Sure, your game seems damn similar now, but you've given credit to the source.
Siendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2012, 07:32 PM   #21
earsofdoom
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Knight View Post
Then don't make it ****ing Smash Bros.

I hope Ninty sues Sony to hell and back for patent infringement or whatever. This is an insult to our collective intelligences.
Everyone rips everyone off and nintendo's done its fair share, you just change it enough so that it requires a long drawn out court battle to prove. Its funny once you think about it really.... seeing as the industry blames stealing of intellectual property (via piracy) for every problem yet is one of the worst offenders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibb View Post
You could say Call of Duty is a rip off of Wolfenstein 3D.
Nah, COD only use's brown while Wolf 3D has an actual colour palette. there is taking inspiration from something.... and then ripping off, which this is.

Last edited by earsofdoom; April 27th, 2012 at 07:39 PM.
earsofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2012, 08:39 AM   #22
Holy Knight
Magnet Knight

^ Stealing ideas is as old as businesses have existed. Big businesses see ingenuous ideas from smaller rivals and move to quickly snap them up or push them out of the market with their own offering. Or maybe the small guy sees a great idea badly executed by a giant, and makes something superior. This is fair game.

What I dislike most about this is that Sony is a public company and ripping off not some obscure game no one ever heard of, but pretty much an established franchise from a significant rival with a significant following (i.e. it was already brilliantly executed). This is downright stupid. It's worse than just patent infringement; it's a reputation killer.

This isn't merely a ripoff; it's a plain terrible business move. They deserve whatever consequences they get out of it.
Old April 28th, 2012, 08:44 AM   #23
Vaikyuko
They'll Tell You I'm Insane

You do realize it's Sony, right? They have a tendency to shoot themselves in the foot, HK. You don't really need to hope for it.

"The agriculture ministry is not in charge of Gundam," ministry official Tsutomu Shimomura said.
Vaikyuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2012, 08:52 AM   #24
Holy Knight
Magnet Knight

Yeah, I know that. I like them because I still think Sony > Nintendo > ... [> xN] ... > M$. But this takes the cake. It's way more than just foot-shooting. You'd have to have the intellect of a rock to make this kind of move. If you rip something off, at least make it your own vision of the same thing, interesting, and a better product. People will be much more forgiving then.

ALL OF MY RAGE!
Old April 28th, 2012, 08:55 AM   #25
Siendra

They're going to sell at least a million units of this game. It doesn't matter - they've done nothing but tarnish their reputation in the eyes of people who already thought little of them.

With a few obvious exceptions, but not enough to hurt them.
Siendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2012, 10:52 AM   #26
ryushe
All Hail the Earth Empire

You know what's weird? If this was a Vita exclusive, I think I'd have different, more positive feelings about it. That and if the name weren't so... Bad.
ryushe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2012, 12:13 PM   #27
Haruhi
S-mod

Sony's characters aren't nearly as memorable enough to make a fighting game, much less a brawling game like Smash. Nintendo characters have at least a decade on even the oldest Sony character in this game, which is why everyone loves the Smash games.

This won't be received well.
Haruhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2012, 03:37 PM   #28
Lemina
Feisty Mage / S-Mod

I'm interested. At this point, Sony needs something new to keep people interested in their IP's. It looks to be a pretty fun game to play even if it copies the Smash Bros. concept. I look forward to more information on this game.
Say NO to bootlegs or illegal downloads. Help the Anime industry by supporting our distributers.
Lemina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2012, 08:53 PM   #29
seba_boi
angels open the doors for me.

Haha!!... The characters jump, move, and attack just like they're from a Smash Bros. game... And is it just me or did the Fat Princess also had a hip bopping move just like Princess Peach?...
Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom Code--MEH!: 5328-2318-7355
seba_boi is offline   Reply With Quote