AnimeNation Forums

Go Back   AnimeNation Forums > Anime & Related Forums > Anime (Genre/Series/Studio) > Studio Ghibli

Old February 9th, 2008, 03:50 PM   #46
DuffChick58
DuffChick58

Like lucky4life, I find that depending on how I saw the movie first is how I would prefer that movie to be seen over and over again.
However, I put faith into the dubbing for the Studio Ghibli movies because -- and im sure if any of you have seen the extras for their movies -- the Disney workers here in America do their best to work out their similarities in their language and make it as closely related as possible. If something does not sound right to the dubbers (is that a word?), or the workers of Studio Ghibli find something doesnt seem right with their dubbing, they converse and work it out so they are both happy.
So yeah.. I'm not worried about watching the dubbed version for the Miyazaki movies.

Last edited by DuffChick58; February 9th, 2008 at 04:37 PM.
DuffChick58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2008, 04:25 PM   #47
Levo
There can be only one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffChick58 View Post
lol unlike any series dubbed by CLAMP who basically alter the whole story of any anime they attempt to dub. Cardcaptors? Totally ruined by 'em. lol

Huh? CCS is the only dub from a CLAMP show that was messed up & altered.

I think CLAMP anime are dubbed great most of the time, besides CCS & the X movie(X TV dub is amazing).

"No sappy lines allowed!" - Aika (Aria)
Levo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 04:24 PM   #48
Scandiadream
Super cool chick

I prefer them dubbed. Just like with all anime I watch.
Old May 25th, 2008, 07:09 PM   #49
KabukiSaMuRaI
De(CON)struction

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
Another classic thread.
Which do you prefer?
I personally prefer the English dubbing to most of the Studio Ghibli movies because the English was what I saw them in first. Whisper of the Heart is the exception, I prefer that in the Japanese with the subtitles because again, that's how I first saw it.
I would also like to note that I really do like how Disney has dubbed these movies. They have chosen voice actors well and most importantly of all...Pixar was heading it and I have yet to see Pixar go wrong with anything they have created.
I watch most of my anime subtitled. It helps me practice and reinforce my Japanese grammar and is a good test. Sometimes I'll turn on Spanish subs to get some simultaneous review (cuando espanol es disponible)

Regarding Ghibli films: compared to other dubbed anime, Miyazaki makes sure everything is as accurate as possible. He oversees pretty much all the dubbing for his stuff which maintains the integrity of his work. When his movies are released in theatres, it is usually in dubbed format. I think I was lucky enough to catch Howl's Moving Castle subbed but I had no gripes about watching his stuff dubbed. All of his movies get the big Hollywood star treatment and they do a pretty good job.

Of course, when the dvd is released, the Japanese track is the one that is primarily picked. It is just my personal preference.
KabukiSaMuRaI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 10:32 PM   #50
Pink Kitten
Female Hentai Addict

Disney has done such a half-assed job of subbing the movies one is almost tempted to try and watch them in English.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 10:56 PM   #51
Anime Gee
I'm an idiot. \(^_^ )

Location: Giving advice in the AnimeNation Love Line! \(^_^ )
Icon02

I must have all of them subbed. Can't stand the dubbed versions. ( >o<)/
Anime Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 01:35 PM   #52
KabukiSaMuRaI
De(CON)struction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Kitten View Post
Disney has done such a half-assed job of subbing the movies one is almost tempted to try and watch them in English.
I've never heard such criticism about Miyazki's stuff before. I wonder if there are a lot of people who feel the same way.

In either case, I still prefer subbed (except for Miyazaki's work). For Miyazki's stuff, his movies are very watchable without subtitles because the dialogue is easy to follow, as compared with other anime.

After you get to know some of the people here, you may want to change that signature of yours But some of us may take you up on your invitation.

Laters.
Old June 17th, 2008, 04:17 PM   #53
BeyonderZ
'Me'(o-_-)===O(x_x)'FUNi'

all ways watch your anime with original music and original voice acting. Try to get the closest translation you possibly can with subtitles.

Also in my opinion all of Miyazki's films were ruined in the english dubbs. Bad voice acting, terrible scripting.. just one alone is enough to ruin a film. One single line changed kills it.
BeyonderZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 04:25 PM   #54
Levo
There can be only one!

Geez, your harsh

Old June 17th, 2008, 06:24 PM   #55
KabukiSaMuRaI
De(CON)struction

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyonderZ View Post
all ways watch your anime with original music and original voice acting. Try to get the closest translation you possibly can with subtitles.

Also in my opinion all of Miyazki's films were ruined in the english dubbs. Bad voice acting, terrible scripting.. just one alone is enough to ruin a film. One single line changed kills it.
I know that he took great care in supervising the dubs. I spot check them once in a while or if the release it in the theatre, then I have no choice in the matter. But yes, I generally agree with your sentiments about anime with original music and language...actually not just limited to Japanese works. If a movie comes out from HK, you can bet I will watch it in either Mandarin or Cantonese (whichever was the intended original language) with subs.

If one single line change ruins an anime, then think of all the anime was had their integrity demolished...Wow, that is a lot of anime that got ruined.
Old June 24th, 2008, 09:44 AM   #56
bobcomer

Dubbed, as I like to watch all Anime. I only watch subbed if there is no dub available.
bobcomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2008, 06:17 PM   #57
KabukiSaMuRaI
De(CON)struction

Dubs for me ruin anime. Unless I am just flipping through some cable channels and have no choice, I will always pick subs or just Japanese.

But to each their own. Not everyone can appreciate the intended language of anime.

À coeur vaillant rien d'impossible
--Jia--
By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail.
--Benjamin Franklin--

I told Santa what I wanted for Christmas and he washed my mouth out with soap.
Old July 4th, 2008, 06:31 PM   #58
Levo
There can be only one!

Just because people love the English dubs doesn't mean they don't appreciate the Japanese.

Old July 4th, 2008, 06:41 PM   #59
bobcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levon View Post

Just because people love the English dubs doesn't mean they don't appreciate the Japanese.
Well put! I wouldn't be watching it if I didn't, I just like not having to read subs. I'm learning a little Japanese at a time, but I envision the day that I'll watch it raw and make fun of you sub readers.

(Just kidding about making fun of sub readers)
bobcomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 12:55 PM   #60
Delta-Pheonix
Soup Dragon

I have a standing tradition to watch it dubbed the first time then once i've watched the movie (or series) the next time I watch it with subtitles.

When it comes to Miyazaki films Subbed and Dubbed are on the flip of a virtual coin, always has good voice acting, don't mind reading the subs either doesn't bother me either way.