AnimeNation Forums

Go Back   AnimeNation Forums > Anime & Related Forums > Anime (Genre/Series/Studio) > Studio Ghibli

Old July 6th, 2008, 06:10 PM   #61
KabukiSaMuRaI
De(CON)struction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levon View Post

Just because people love the English dubs doesn't mean they don't appreciate the Japanese [sic] language.

Well, kind of a one sided statement. (Fixed it for ya). On the other side, it doesn't really make a case that they DO appreciate the Japanese language either. Dubs are strictly a marketing tool in order for something foreign to be seamlessly (ideally I guess) introduced into another market. The general feeling is that it will gain acceptance if it is in the current market's language, irrespective of whatever country it originated in. That's making a statement in itself.

But seriously, watch it any way that makes you feel comfortable. People will do so regardless of how many points can be made in favor of subs because of certain common reasons.

At this point, subtitles I use to assist. Depending on the subject matter, I see how much I can get out of it before I read it (it is difficult and you need to be quick). I'm actually trying to train my ears better after studying the language. Watching anime has a double purpose for me; Entertainment and a learning tool. What better way to immerse yourself (aside from being in Japan) in a language than by watching something that interests you?

But highly technical things, scientific terms dealing with mecha or similar subject matter is just difficult to follow and that is when the subs come into play. Btw, I'm still always learning just like those of you who take the time to learn the language even though my formal education has been completed.

Before, people didn't have a choice. Then even with the introduction of bilingual dvds (over 10 years now) and even the few subbed vhs releases way back when, there is still an overwhelmingly amount of people who, for whatever reason, still choose dubs. I've heard mostly the same reasons and arguments. Most people simply just don't want to bother with reading or they have no interest in learning Japanese.

Like I wrote before about Miyazaki, he oversees just about every level of the dub process...making sure each line is delivered the way he intended it in his original version. That is why his dubs are of better quality than most.

If ever it comes to the point where I become fluent and attain a good ear for the language, which is my goal at this point, then that will be awesome. I think that for now, subs are as close as I will get to the original dialogue. That is how i personally feel.

À coeur vaillant rien d'impossible
--Jia--
By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail.
--Benjamin Franklin--

I told Santa what I wanted for Christmas and he washed my mouth out with soap.
KabukiSaMuRaI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 06:14 PM   #62
KabukiSaMuRaI
De(CON)struction

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcomer View Post
Dubbed, as I like to watch all Anime. I only watch subbed if there is no dub available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcomer View Post
Well put! I wouldn't be watching it if I didn't, I just like not having to read subs. I'm learning a little Japanese at a time, but I envision the day that I'll watch it raw and make fun of you sub readers.

(Just kidding about making fun of sub readers)
Seems like almost two contradicting statements that you make Sir. Have you had a sudden change of heart

I respect that you are taking the time to learn. Thank you for being honest and welcome to the forums.

Take care.

--Jia--
--Benjamin Franklin--

Old August 26th, 2008, 07:45 PM   #63
Gitaru~chan
Freelance Artist

I actually really like the dubs, but I'm not against reading subs either. I've done both for several Ghibli films. I guess it just depends on where and when I watch it.
Old August 26th, 2008, 07:49 PM   #64
Chidori Raikiri
Zidane Tribal

I tend to lean towards dubbed, though subs aren't too far off. Usually I watch anime when I'm lazy, and would rather not have to read it. If I were to read it, I'd rather just go read manga.

Chidori Raikiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 11:46 AM   #65
KabukiSaMuRaI
De(CON)struction

One aspect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitaru~chan View Post
I actually really like the dubs, but I'm not against reading subs either. I've done both for several Ghibli films. I guess it just depends on where and when I watch it.
When we weren't given an option, dubs were the only way. Usually, on most of the cable channels I have, they will show anime dubbed. I have essentially stopped watching anime on cable precisely for that reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chidori Raikiri View Post
I tend to lean towards dubbed, though subs aren't too far off. Usually I watch anime when I'm lazy, and would rather not have to read it. If I were to read it, I'd rather just go read manga.
Echoes a common sentiment among anime viewers. At least by their own admission, we have truthful people who tell us the real reason they like dubs. I remember participating in an Anime Festival one time, where I was in charge of a room (among many rooms) showing some type of anime (I forget the title). But the point is that when I changed the format to subtitle, there were some objections. This was mostly from the younger crowd, which probably says something about the viewership and mentality of SOME anime fans.

Most often we hear that "I don't like reading anime" but I feel that to be an inaccurate perspective. Not just limited to reading, there is the LISTENING portion for the Japanese dialogue, where all the dialects, inflections, intonations, etc can be HEARD by those that can appreciate them. Unless people prefer watching silent movies or anime with the volume turned low, there is much more to the subtitle experience than just mere 'reading.'

Manga contains no sound effects, CGI enhanced frames or mise-en-scene to captivate the viewer. Not taking anything away from it but it does not sound right to compare reading manga to to reading subtitles; for those are two completely different experiences reserved for different times AND does not accurately depict the purpose of subtitles, in my opinion.

There are those who take away different things (or fewer than others) from the same experience. Even though it shows a type of mentality or frame of mind, people will watch anime how they please. Finding fault or folly in people's personal preferences is one way of addressing the issue but one can gather a lot about a person who prefers one over the other.

--Jia--
--Benjamin Franklin--

Old October 22nd, 2008, 07:43 PM   #66
DukeMaze

Subs FTW

Dubs for SG movies are quite good compared to other studios
DukeMaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2008, 09:20 PM   #67
Caster13
You can't spell pimp without imp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeMaze View Post
Subs FTW

Dubs for SG movies are quite good compared to other studios
You obviously don't know about Warriors of the Wind, the first dub of Nausicaa. It is famous simply for it's hideousness. Most copies have been thrown away long ago, and a lot have been thrown right into a fireplace. Even if you find a copy for like 1 dollar, don't waste your money.
Old October 25th, 2008, 10:16 PM   #68
KabukiSaMuRaI
De(CON)struction

That one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenpachi View Post
You obviously don't know about Warriors of the Wind, the first dub of Nausicaa. It is famous simply for it's hideousness. Most copies have been thrown away long ago, and a lot have been thrown right into a fireplace. Even if you find a copy for like 1 dollar, don't waste your money.
Miyazaki has been involved in the dubbing process for his movies...that's why they are of such upstanding quality. Add to that the all star Hollywood cast that is used and the dubs are better than the usual Anime release.

Warriors of the Wind was created neither with the supervision of Miyazaki nor has any relation with Studio Ghibli. Compared with the original Nausicaa anime, the first dub is considered a disgrace, to say the least. You used a better word to describe it.

It is safe to say that Miyazaki has most-likely distanced himself from that first dub and it would not be fair to lump it in with all the other authentic Ghibli releases and copyrighted works.

Just for general interest, I wouldn't mind viewing that rendition just once. I saw it at a local video store years back but bothered to rent it.

--Jia--
--Benjamin Franklin--

Old October 25th, 2008, 10:41 PM   #69
superplough
fear cuts deeper than swords

I always watch the dubs.

superplough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2008, 07:31 PM   #70
Caster13
You can't spell pimp without imp.

I will NEVER watch Warriors of the Wind. I've heard of some stuff that's in it, and it sounds like the 2 girls 1 cup of dubs.
Old November 2nd, 2008, 03:08 PM   #71
Surge200982

I like both.
Old November 27th, 2009, 12:33 PM   #72
Maka Albarn
Soul's Technician

I've only seen the movies dubbed.
I'm curious as to what they may be like subbed..
Maka Albarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2011, 08:21 PM   #73
Arch-Defender
Knight of Six

Any anime, any time I say dubbed.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 09:42 PM   #74
DrewM1990
The Darkness of Eternity

depends on the dub

only good dubs I've seen are Fullmetal Alchemist, Dragon ball and Yu Yu hakusho
DrewM1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 12:01 PM   #75
lilredphoenix
From the flames I come forth

I have seen most of the Miyazaki movies in sub format I live hearing the Japanese VA's. I have also heard several of the movies in Dub version the studio using a lot of well known actors/actresses doing the character voices which makes it enjoyable to listen to.
lilredphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote