AnimeNation Forums

Go Back   AnimeNation Forums > Anime & Related Forums > Anime (Genre/Series/Studio) > Studio Ghibli

Old July 29th, 2011, 01:37 AM   #76
OrangeAfterglow
Warm and fuzzy

I prefer them dubbed. I got a copy of 'Castle in the sky' when it was releaced a few years ago in the uk and the subbs were only to the english scrip which had been dramatically changed. So watching it subbed was a bit annoying when there were words on the screen but no one speaking.

Then it was re-releaced by another company so I got that copy and sold the old one. the new one has subs to the japanese script aswell. Though I do always switch to the japanese track for Pazu's trumpet solo.... it terns into some sort of orchestral thing on the english track.....

Plus casting Billy Bob Thornton in Mononoke is excellent!
Old August 11th, 2011, 11:45 PM   #77
animefan88
Powered Up

From my experiencec Ghibli dubs are quite good
animefan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2011, 11:49 PM   #78
fearthebeard85

well if their is a dubbed version of something I prefer the dubs because I like to understand what they're saying plus I don't like having to read. However, if the english dub is just awful like for Bleach and the Yu Yu Hakusho movies, then I will watch the subbed version, or if a show hasn't been dubbed in english I will watch the subbed but it is just easier for me to watch something not having to worry about reading what they're saying and whether I missed something or not.

I doubt this has anything to do with the question but I just wanted to express how I feel with all dubbed and subbed anime
Old August 11th, 2011, 11:52 PM   #79
animefan88
Powered Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearthebeard85 View Post
well if their is a dubbed version of something I prefer the dubs because I like to understand what they're saying plus I don't like having to read. However, if the english dub is just awful like for Bleach and the Yu Yu Hakusho movies, then I will watch the subbed version, or if a show hasn't been dubbed in english I will watch the subbed but it is just easier for me to watch something not having to worry about reading what they're saying and whether I missed something or not.

I doubt this has anything to do with the question but I just wanted to express how I feel with all dubbed and subbed anime
Dude, thats just like I am! If I wanted to read, I'd read manga.

The Hakusho movies suck btw
animefan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2011, 11:55 PM   #80
fearthebeard85

Quote:
Originally Posted by animefan88 View Post
Dude, thats just like I am! If I wanted to read, I'd read manga.
Yes! Haha the main thing that bothers me is that alot of times they don't give you enough time to read it (or I'm just slow at reading while trying to pay attention to what's going on) but still I hate fumbling over the words and having to go back if I missed the words or to have to pause it to read

and I know the movies are terrible, I didn't think Poltergeist Report would've been bad if it wasn't for the horrible dubbing, it had an okay plot
Old January 5th, 2012, 11:55 PM   #81
Amorok

I think Ghibli has enough money and is high-profile enough to manage damn good dubs. So yeah, I prefer dubbed Ghibli films.
Old January 6th, 2012, 04:06 AM   #82
Gatomon
Sensei Werepanther

Depending upon the anime you end up getting it whatever its sold as. I prefer subbed. I'm over 50 and dislike having to read my anime.
A little while later they pulled the melted iron grate out of the pit. Then they carried it a good distance into the forest and bury it. Mr. Simmons sprinkles some seeds on the fresh turned earth and begins a chant. The seeds sprout and the fresh dirt turns into a patch of green that blends into the forest. “You know if she melts down a car. I’m not going to bury it.” Mr. Jones jokes as they walk back to put up the shovels in the storage room. Visit my Blog and read more!
Gatomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2012, 08:12 AM   #83
Lemina
Feisty Mage / S-Mod

I prefer subbed for Ghibli films in general, but I actually really liked Dreamworks English dub of Princess Mononoke. It was different voice acting from the usual actors and actresses who dub other anime and they really made the dub sound natural and believable.
Say NO to bootlegs or illegal downloads. Help the Anime industry by supporting our distributers.
Lemina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 09:34 PM   #84
Dreamstryder
Science-Fantasy Fan

I usually watch it in Japanese first when able because that is the native tongue of the work. I watch a lot in English too because I'm watching them multiple times anyway.

Disney's Ghibli English dubs are of good quality, even if 2 lines were altered/added in Spirited Away, they added lines (some good, some superfluous) all over in Laputa, Princess Mononoke's deer god was called "the Forest Spirit," and half the dub actors in Ponyo didn't decide on how to pronounce the title of the film.

I prefer the original Japanese with subs, but I switch among the languages on Laputa because of the soundtrack re-orchestration in English and because I find airship stories in French aesthetically interesting.

Last edited by Dreamstryder; March 18th, 2012 at 09:39 PM.
Dreamstryder is offline   Reply With Quote