AnimeNation Forums

Go Back   AnimeNation Forums > Anime & Related Forums > Anime (Genre/Series/Studio) > Studio Ghibli

Old April 21st, 2008, 04:29 PM   #1
Scandiadream
Super cool chick

Grave of the Fireflies

After so many years of being an otaku, I have finally brought myself to watch Grave of the Fireflies.

Why did it take me so long? Let's just say that I was afraid it would be a guilt trip.

While it was a sad movie, it did not make me feel guilty. Mainly because I was not alive back then and thus not responsible for what happened.

Beautiful movie. Sad and tragic, but very well made. Great story and characterization. And for being rather old- 1988- the animation is quite good. Dub was great.

Overall, I highly recommend it.
Old May 25th, 2008, 07:02 PM   #2
KabukiSaMuRaI
De(CON)struction

Don't know why you would feel guilty. The author feels guilty. It was based on a book...the author had watched his own little sister die slowly to ensure his own survival. (I think that was part of an interview I read somewhere before). It is difficult to be judgmental about the situation though.

But it is extremely SAD. I find that I can only watch it at least maybe once or twice per year (maybe not even). It was a good story and those of us with small siblings or who are responsible for the care of young ones have been affected by this anime.

One little example of how war affects people. Amid mass destruction, a microcosm of tragedy that seems to supersede the bigger picture. The way the adults acted and treated the kids (taking advantage of a bad situation) just made me angry. You kind of new what was going to happen, because the story is being told by his spirit but I still hoped that there would be a happy ending.

I think in a way, the ending/beginning was happy. It all depends on how one interprets their situation. The music was PERFECT. Almost like a children's lullaby. Very easy on the ears but in the context of this anime, just makes me sad when I hear that tune (which is not often these days).

There was a lot of brown in the color I guess to signify war. It works...definitely. Anime, which is an animated expression of the culture that created it, is usually very overtly fantastic and entertaining. Grave of the Fireflies comes at you from a perspective that catches you off-guard, even when you know what's coming. Whether or not this is correctly termed, I consider this one of the few realistic anime that is out there and is a definite required-watching for anyone who is a fan of the genre or anime in general.

I think, back in 1988, this was shown in double feature with Tonari no Totoro. Takahata worked with Miyazaki but his works have a different feel than Miyazki's, of course in my opinion. Even the adventurous Pom Poko which started out comical and energetic, starts to veer toward a sense of getting back to reality. I'm not sure if that means anything but right now, it is the best way for me to describe.

Grave of the Fireflies has been around for some time now. It will be one of those anime features that will stand the test of time.

I still have the special two disc collectors that i haven't opened yet.

Take Care All.
KabukiSaMuRaI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2008, 05:55 PM   #3
KabukiSaMuRaI
De(CON)struction

Live action

I only recently heard of the live action version that was released not too long ago.

Did anyone watch it?

À coeur vaillant rien d'impossible
--Jia--
By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail.
--Benjamin Franklin--

I told Santa what I wanted for Christmas and he washed my mouth out with soap.
Old November 14th, 2008, 06:01 PM   #4
old hat
I am Groot

It is very good. I watched it once. That's enough. I won't watch it again. I'm too sentimental and it's too depressing.
Old November 14th, 2008, 11:48 PM   #5
KabukiSaMuRaI
De(CON)struction

Thx

I was concerned that they might have butchered the effect in a live action version. I am a fan of the main actress though...

Hmm...it's not so recent. It was released 2005 in Japan.

I'll have to see if I can find a copy somewhere. I don't think there is any domestic release as of yet for rental...

--Jia--
--Benjamin Franklin--

Old November 15th, 2008, 12:31 AM   #6
Leader Desslock
The Ferret Priestess Of Uranus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandiadream View Post
After so many years of being an otaku, I have finally brought myself to watch Grave of the Fireflies.

Why did it take me so long? Let's just say that I was afraid it would be a guilt trip.
Nah, that'd be would be Barefoot Gen I & II.

Actually, I can't say that. I haven't seen an animated series that's made me feel that whole "Americans are bad for causing WWII" thing, because I'd have to ignore a whole lot of history to absolve Japan for any guilt in the matter. It was war, war is ugly, and there's plenty of blame for it to go around, I should think.

While Grave Of The Fireflies was sad, I never lost the sense that it was the author working through his own guilt. So while it was definitely sad, it was a vicarious sadness. It's an outstanding expression of what he went through (and what he's still going through), and if any work can be rated a Masterpiece, GotF is one of them.

I highly recommend that you watch a couple of lighthearted series to cheer up, then give Barefoot Gen a try. The animation's a bit more dated, but the story's quite powerful, and I think anyone who like GotF will like it.

~Mike Royko
Leader Desslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2008, 08:49 AM   #7
KabukiSaMuRaI
De(CON)struction

masterpiece no doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leader Desslock View Post

Actually, I can't say that. I haven't seen an animated series that's made me feel that whole "Americans are bad for causing WWII" thing, because I'd have to ignore a whole lot of history to absolve Japan for any guilt in the matter. It was war, war is ugly, and there's plenty of blame for it to go around, I should think.
Yeah, I'm sure everyone can agree that war brings out the worst in people. Those involved in the war did things that they were not proud of. In my opinion, the anime shouldn't be looked at as some sort of exoneration on the part of Japan. It was a personal story that showed how war can touch all facets of life and it's viewing enjoyment would be less hampered by the politics of that era. It is well known that propaganda, from any country, is very prevalent in popular media.

Quote:
While Grave Of The Fireflies was sad, I never lost the sense that it was the author working through his own guilt. It's an outstanding expression of what he went through (and what he's still going through), and if any work can be rated a Masterpiece, GotF is one of them.
[/QUOTE]

Being considered a masterpiece has always been the general consensus about that anime in my opinion. I would not venture to try and take anything away from it's overall effectiveness.

--Jia--
--Benjamin Franklin--

Old November 16th, 2008, 03:51 AM   #8
dr ochanomizu

Quote:
Why did it take me so long? Let's just say that I was afraid it would be a guilt trip...
I often read those comments in the reviews of GRAVE OF FIREFLIES. Therefore, according to those reviewers, it detracted from the story, itself and the anime. Everyone has a point of view. To say that everyone has the same experience or to say that everyone should feel the same way, is to miss the point, in my opinion. Akiyuki NOSAKA’s semi autobiography experience, unlike Seita, lived told his story. I’m sure similar events and anguish have occurred since the dawn of man kind; like starving Germans in bombing runs in the city of Dresden, Germans seizure of Russia, or the concentrations of Jews are more recent memories of WWII. No humanity owns monopoly on goodness.

The old cliché, “war is hell”, does not diminish the accomplishment of this fine anime. To reach into the deepest part of man’s psyche and render overwhelming powerful emotions from 2 dimensional moving drawings cannot be denied. What impressed me most about this anime was that I was conditioned by Disney’s happy talking and singing animals, I was in shock that I was able to relate in human level. I connected emotionally to the story and the characters plight of survival. The reason the story worked from the analytical point of view is the juxtaposition, thereby contrasting, of innocence, Setsuko, against the backdrop of inferno of ugliness in the war.

This was truly a memorable anime but I have not been able to see GRAVE OF THE FIREFLES again in sometime.

TS
dr ochanomizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009, 07:54 PM   #9
KabukiSaMuRaI
De(CON)struction

Regardless of what critics say, the movie means something to all of us (who have hearts) even though we may see things differently. I know that it is an anime that is almost unrivaled in its severity and was made for a very different audience. But it is something that most people will appreciate and like all other facets of media, offers a commentary on the human condition.

It's difficult for me to watch it nowadays. But I would still like to see that live action version. It's been out for a few years now...

--Jia--
--Benjamin Franklin--

Old September 30th, 2009, 07:18 PM   #10
Ridley-X4
No.

I just saw it now with my dad. Amazing film. I didn't cry, but I was damn near it.

One of the best films I've ever seen. I'd rate it up there with 2001: A Space Oddesy and District 9.
Old September 30th, 2009, 08:08 PM   #11
KabukiSaMuRaI
De(CON)struction

Watchin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley-X4 View Post
I just saw it now with my dad. Amazing film. I didn't cry, but I was damn near it.

One of the best films I've ever seen. I'd rate it up there with 2001: A Space Oddesy and District 9.
And it will be a very long time before you will watch Grave of the Fireflies...if ever. Its replay value is low but its effect lingers for a significant amount of time.

--Jia--
--Benjamin Franklin--

Old October 9th, 2009, 06:26 PM   #12
Arnold
Dude is now a lady

Quote:

I highly recommend that you watch a couple of lighthearted series to cheer up, then give Barefoot Gen a try. The animation's a bit more dated, but the story's quite powerful, and I think anyone who like GotF will like it.
Ditto on that. In some ways I think Barefoot Gen is more shocking, as some of the cartoonier character designs stand in contrast to some really disturbing imagery from the A-bomb.

GotF is a somewhat better crafted film (some very interesting directorial choices, whereas BF Gen is a bit more "standard") but both are amazing.

- Sniper King theme, One Piece
My Avatar: Ash from Misfile
Anime watched in 2014: 31 (6 shows)
Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2010, 06:50 AM   #13
CakeMonster
Dont worry Im freindly

Great film really but its so tragic
Old August 31st, 2010, 07:36 AM   #14
Wayfarer
Banned

Quote:
While it was a sad movie, it did not make me feel guilty. Mainly because I was not alive back then and thus not responsible for what happened.
I think GotF (or as I like to call it: Gtfo) is more about guilt suffered by Seita rather than that suffered by inhabitants of the warring countries in general. It's a very personal story that doesn't focus a lot on the wider background. I agree it is sad in the sense that Seita and his sister became wasted, but I think there was another message which was more important: Seita's stubborn pride, selfishness, and lack of foresight and forbearance.

This issue probably isn't the first thing that leaps into people's minds because of the ability of GotF to provoke sympathy for Seita. However, taking a more objective look at it, Seita should really have grit his teeth and stayed with his relatives rather than leave in a huff. His chances of survival would probably be much better. It's very petulant and downright irresponsible since it not only set himself but his little sister on the road to mortality. Takahata (the director), IIRC, was surprised that most of one audience felt sympathy for Seita whereas he was more critical of him and compared him to a modern Japanese boy. I can see what he means here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old hat
I'm too sentimental and it's too depressing.
Well, that is surprising; I'd have thought you could take something like this in your stride. Myself, I'd welcome with open arms more anime like GotF and would prefer them to be even more hard-hitting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold
In some ways I think Barefoot Gen is more shocking, as some of the cartoonier character designs stand in contrast to some really disturbing imagery from the A-bomb.
I've avoided BG to this day because it looked too cartoony for me, and I can imagine the animation of people disintegrating being somewhat comical for me.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2011, 08:07 PM   #15
chachaboru
Banned

this movie made me cry..
i felt so sorry for them...
and when the the little sis began eating dirt, thinking it was food was so sad....
chachaboru is offline   Reply With Quote