AnimeNation Forums

Go Back   AnimeNation Forums > Anime & Related Forums > Anime (Genre/Series/Studio) > Studio Ghibli

Old March 21st, 2010, 08:07 PM   #16
Caster13
Your mother was a hamster

Nope. One of my favorite anime ever is Nausicaa, definitely in the Top 3. Princess Mononoke was good too, I haven't seen a ton of Ghibli films though. But Nausicaa is awesome. And Nausicaa is a total badass, even moreso in the manga.

However it had one of the worst dubs in history. Damn you New World Pictures, DAMN YOU!!!
Old March 21st, 2010, 09:06 PM   #17
Schadenfreude
Schadenfreudian slip.

Having Peter Boyle voice Muta in the dub for "The Cat Returns" made me fall in love with that film.

He does well, especially among the demographic he aims his films at, and for those playing the substance card, keep in mind that Miyazaki films are the Japanese equivalent of Walt Disney films, which could easily be pinned with the same fate.

Steam ID: Chuchuchrain
Origin: Choochoochrain
Schadenfreude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2010, 12:50 AM   #18
Sora N

I personally think that Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli movies are way too overrated and I've only liked a few of their movies for example: Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (one of the best Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli films in my opinion.)
Sora N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2010, 05:26 AM   #19
Lemina
Feisty Mage / S-Mod

I don't see why Miyazaki would be overrated. His films were generally good and they have become more popular with the mainstream. My sister loved Howl's Moving Castle. Personally speaking, I loved Princess Mononoke but I couldn't get into any of his other films. His art direction uses for his stories is unique and that's always something refreshing to see in anime. We need more of it.
Say NO to bootlegs or illegal downloads. Help the Anime industry by supporting our distributers.
Lemina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2010, 05:57 AM   #20
tenshi_a
The beginning of a fantastic story!

I think a lot of Ghibli films are quite boring, but I don't know where the divide lies, who did what for each one.

I like Nausicaa very much, I like some of the others where he's made a film (or TV episode) from someone else's story, but... sometimes they really are a bit pointless.

I mean, it's usually a case of telling the audience: "girls are strong" and "weird things might be friendly, don't be mean or run away" and "be nice to the environment", but once you've seen that once you don't need it hammered through again and again and again.

And aside from those three things, otherwise it's often just a bunch of weird stuff that... if it does have a deep meaning, it fails to get it across.

I like him, but mostly only as long as he doesn't get too Miyazaki-flavoured, if that makes sense.

His art direction is... often astounding but usually a bit too freaky and grotesque to really appreciate. I mean, it's stuff to respect but not so much to enjoy.

I picture a lot of these films as being either for very small children (in which case they are probably excellent... though a bit freaky), or for people in an "I was drunk already and it was on and I was chilled out, it was cool" kind of mood. Which is a mood I'm not usually in, so.... yeah. I'm not sure if he's overrated, or it's just that he's rated on a scale that I don't appreciate.

Some people can make things that are wonderful for both children and adults. Or if you prefer "adults of all ages". I'm not sure with this guy.
tenshi_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2010, 06:28 AM   #21
Schadenfreude
Schadenfreudian slip.

The people who usually claim he's overrated go and watch Cowboy Bebop or Bleach afterwards anyways.

Old May 28th, 2010, 06:43 AM   #22
Daishikaze
Champion of the Classics

I don't think he's overrated, his body of work speaks for itself. Some people don't like his films and thats ok, but it doesn't mean his work is overrated. Sure he's not really been on form since Spirited Away (and even some say he's been off his game even before that, but I disagree there), but his work in the past has generally been very well done, much better than alot of animated features have been in the last 20 years or so IMO.
"Police the lives of those around you and get your sensibilities way the heck outta whack! Parade up and down the street in your underwear. Impose your ideas on others! It's easy! Crush someone with an emotional word or an enigmatic look." - Crow
Daishikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2010, 07:01 AM   #23
Schadenfreude
Schadenfreudian slip.

Not to mention Ghibli is to Japan as Disney is to America. We grew up watching the Little Mermaid and Cinderella, the Japanese kids grew up watching My Neighbour Totoro and Castle in the Sky.

Old August 26th, 2010, 11:17 AM   #24
xXxJenniferxXx
Dark Ninja

I think when people say he is the greatest anime director i think thats a bit overrated
But i like a lot of his works, Spirited Away in paticular ^^
Old August 27th, 2010, 06:41 AM   #25
Levo
The Invader

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXxJenniferxXx View Post
I think when people say he is the greatest anime director i think thats a bit overrated
Then who is?

I find that every single anime he directs turns out pretty good, but of course some stand out more than others. (Mononoke is my favorite)
Old August 27th, 2010, 07:05 AM   #26
Animematt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prons View Post

Kiki's delivery service had this even worse because there's a scene where a little girl strips down and then gets her feet licked by a cow.

I think Roman Polanski is the least of our worries.
ok, I am going to watch Kiki's delivery service now
Animematt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 09:13 AM   #27
xXxJenniferxXx
Dark Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levon View Post
Then who is?

I find that every single anime he directs turns out pretty good, but of course some stand out more than others. (Mononoke is my favorite)
I love mononoke too , but i really don't know about that many anime directors but I have seen some anime movies that are better in my opinion than miyazaki's works. Although miyazaki pwns xDD.
Old September 11th, 2010, 03:25 PM   #28
ryogasoul
Under Shrodinger's cat food bowl

I like Miyazaki and Takahata. Miyazaki likes to go for the feelings that all people share. Takahata likes to portray really subtle things like nostalgia or finding your calling. It is the stories, not just the animation that really sells them.

Even saying that, some of the animation is just stellar. Look at the opening 15 minutes of Princess Mononoke again. Look at how the dappled light flows across his face as he rides through the woods, and the clouds streaming through the sky. Amazing.

Support my New Anime kickstart at http://lunatics.tv/
ryogasoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2010, 11:17 AM   #29
masamune31

Hayao Miyazaki is still one of the most talented animation directors. I really don't think he is overrated. I think Spirited Away and recent his works are totally good but also hyped and Nausicca is too underrated.

And if you want to look for meaningful storytelling or realistic characters or serious human drama, you'll give more credits to Mamoru Oshii, Katsuhiro Otomo and Isao Taakhaka than Miyazaki.
masamune31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2010, 11:57 AM   #30
LuxDeus1

I absolutely cannot sit through any of Miyazaki's films, especially as far as anime films I grew up watching, stuff like Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Vampire Hunter D, Ninja Scroll, Roujin Z and such other later films like Metropolis and Steamboy. I tried watching Kiki's Delivery Service and Princess Mononoke but found them to be quite a snore fest. All that being said, I am definitely gonna say Miyazaki is overrated due to every fan I know that loves and praises his movies like they're plated gold rip's my head off everytime there's a debate about any Miyazaki film.

Googling Hayao Miyazaki proves how overrated he is. His wikipedia speaks for itself as if he is a god. It's one of those "too long, didn't read" type things.

Last edited by LuxDeus1; September 24th, 2010 at 12:10 PM.
LuxDeus1 is offline   Reply With Quote