AnimeNation Forums

Go Back   AnimeNation Forums > Anime & Related Forums > Anime (Genre/Series/Studio) > Studio Ghibli

Old April 12th, 2010, 08:17 PM   #1
ZeroRyoko1974
Mr. Zeroryoko1974 to you

Nausicaa Blu Ray

http://www.neowing.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=VWBS-1110
Hayao Miyazakiís film ĎNausicaa of the Valley of the Windí is being digitally remastered and is set to be released on Blu-Ray on July14th in Japan. Interestingly enough, the Japanese Blu-Ray release will include an english subtitle and dub track as well as a subtitle an dub track for several other languages such as Korean, German, and French. The Blu-Ray will also include a commentary track by Hideaki Anno (the director of Evangelion as well as a key animator in Nausicaa) as well as a recent conversation between him and Studio Ghibli producer Toshio Suzuki. It isnít clear if the bonus extras and commentary will also have english subtitles but Iím hoping that the language options apply to the film as well as the disc extras.

The Blu-Ray release is being handled by Walt Disney Studios Japan so an American Blu-Ray release canít be far behind. Although it seems that fans should probably pick up the Japanese Blu-Ray seeing as it already has an english language track and so that they can be sure to get all of the commentaries and extras which are usually dropped from stateside releases of foreign films.

Lastly, this is also the first in a series of Blu-Ray releases of all of the older Studio Ghibli films.
Old July 11th, 2010, 03:52 PM   #2
Tonyx35
Do you remember love?

It's coming closer, for Japan anyway. Good news is that the US and Japan have the same Blu-Ray region so you can import it and it will have English Audio/Subs. Bad news, it will sell for around $80.00

It will even have Audio Commentary by Hideaki Anno (Neon Genesis Evangelion)

Quoted from the YesAsia product page...
Quote:
The second Ghibli film to come to Blu-ray disc, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind comes with audio and subtitle options in multiple languages including English. The Blu-ray Edition also includes a mini Nausicaa guidebook (9cm x 6.5cm) and the following special features:
Storyboard
Script
Trailers
Audio Commentary (Anno Hideaki x Katayama Kazuyoshi)
Anno Hideaki & Suzuki Toshio Discussion from December 2009
I hope the US Blu-ray release gets this audio commentary + an English sub track.
Tonyx35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2010, 12:11 AM   #3
Levo
Hunter

Worth $80 but it would probably be released in the US soon after. Can't wait

"Make a sound, I'll kill you. If you move, I'll kill you. Use Nen, I'll kill you." - Killua (HxH)
Levo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2010, 12:20 AM   #4
old hat
Insert clever title here

I don't know why they would include other language tracks unless they were looking at international distribution in the future. It's common for American shows released in the US but a lot more languages are spoken in the US. Here you are missing out on a fairly large potential market if you don't include at least Spanish.
"Science isn't about authority or white coats; it's about following a method. That method is built on core principles: precision and transparency; being clear about your methods; being honest about your results; and drawing a clear line between the results, on the one hand, and your judgment calls about how those results support a hypothesis." Ben Goldacre
old hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 08:46 AM   #5
Tonyx35
Do you remember love?

http://ghiblicon.blogspot.com/2010/0...-wind-blu.html

Click on the link under the image to visit this Studio Ghibli fan blog with more screenshots. It looks so much better when viewed at a larger size (1600x858).

I don't own a Blu-Ray player, but I'm seriously considering it now Disney please release the North American version soon.

Last edited by Tonyx35; December 5th, 2010 at 11:37 AM.
Old November 23rd, 2010, 08:27 AM   #6
Tonyx35
Do you remember love?

http://www.japanator.com/nausicaa-bl...es-17413.phtml

Quote:
Amazon.com has just put up a listing for Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind with a release date of March 8th, 2011. The list price is $39.99 (but Amazon has it knocked down to $27.99), indicating that it is indeed the Blu-ray. Now, whether the original cover art and bonus material will make it over is another story. We'll be bringing you all the details as soon as they hit.
Excellent!

Edit:

Last edited by Tonyx35; November 24th, 2010 at 04:49 PM.
Old November 23rd, 2010, 03:43 PM   #7
Gibb
アサギ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyx35 View Post
I don't own a Blu-Ray player, but I'm seriously considering it now Disney please releases the North American version soon.
Get a PS3 or blu ray player, it's great. I've seen some impressive stuff with animation on blu ray formats. I just watched Ponyo on blu ray over the weekend and it's gorgeous. Super crisp lines, incredible sound quality. Love it. Other things I've seen include Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, Eden of the East, Full Metal Panic, and Paprika. Of those, they all looked incredible except Full Metal Panic, which looked pretty good but dropped in quality once in a while. It also was 4:3 ratio since it's an older series.
Gibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2010, 02:48 PM   #8
Menos
Banned

That is truly a great thing to hear. Nausicaa is my second favorite Miyazaki film (nothing can beat Princess Mononoke). This is a definite purchase!
Menos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2011, 08:06 PM   #9
ZeroRyoko1974
Mr. Zeroryoko1974 to you

From ANN, a Nausicaa BR, and Earthsea DVD on March 8th
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/pres...a-and-earthsea
On March 8th, Studio Ghibli's TALES FROM EARTHSEA (DVD only) and NAUSICAA OF THE VALLEY OF THE WIND (Blu-ray + DVD Combo Pack) will be available to bring home!

Goro Miyazaki's directorial debut, Tales from Earthsea, features exquisite hand-drawn animation and the vocal talents of Timothy Dalton, Willem Dafoe, Cheech Marin, and Mariska Hargitay. Bonus material includes a behind-the-scenes look at the studio and Studio Ghibli Trivia Challenge!

Nausicaš of Valley of the Wind launched the Academy Award-winning career of famed director Hayao Miyazaki! This stunning animated tale features the voices of Uma Thurman, Shia LeBeouf, and Patrick Stewart. Bonus features include a behind-the-scenes look into the recording booth and the birth story of Studio Ghibli.