AnimeNation Forums

Go Back   AnimeNation Forums > Anime & Related Forums > Anime (Genre/Series/Studio) > Studio Ghibli

Old May 25th, 2010, 01:54 AM   #1
Sheeta
Gatomon fan

Icon14 Ghibli movie appreciation thread

Since very few people like Ghibli movies,I'll start a Ghibli movies appreciation thread,to see who'll respond!

I'm now member of Ouran and Gato fan social groups

http://www.ghibli36.proboards.com/index.cgi
http://digimonforum13.proboards.com/index.cgi
Sheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 04:39 AM   #2
superplough
in USSR curry smurfs ploff

I don't know anyone who's seen the Ghibli movies that doesn't like them.

I like all the ones I have seen. Check My anime list to find out which ones

superplough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 07:57 AM   #3
Sora N
Being a Butei is hard work!

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (is the best of the Studio Ghibli movies)

Other ones I liked (I don’t like a lot of the newer Ghibli stuff):

My Neighbor Totoro
Kiki's Delivery Service
Grave of the Fireflies (a very sad movie though)
Princess Mononoke (was alright)

I am a single bullet. It has no heart. Therefore, it does not think. It just flies straight towards its target"
~ Reki from Aria from Aria the Scarlet Ammo

Last edited by Sora N; May 25th, 2010 at 08:00 AM.
Sora N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 08:04 AM   #4
Shiroiyuki
Leading Cause of Otaku Death

The only Studio Ghibli film I didn't like was Grave of the Fireflies. That movie was horrible -- there was nothing happy about it and it kept getting worse and worse (and made me cry).
Old May 27th, 2010, 03:20 AM   #5
Northern Reaver
Funky as a chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroiyuki View Post
The only Studio Ghibli film I didn't like was Grave of the Fireflies. That movie was horrible -- there was nothing happy about it and it kept getting worse and worse (and made me cry).
...I think that was the point.

Kiki's delivery service is my favourite Ghibli film, not sure why though I just find it charming (and Jiji sounds alot like Squidward in the dub )
Northern Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2010, 05:51 AM   #6
Lemina
Magic Caster / S-Mod

I loved Princess Mononoke. This story was sweet. Spirited Away and Howls Moving Castle were alright I guess but definitely on the wierd side. I have not seen any of his other films as of yet.
Say NO to bootlegs or illegal downloads. Help the Anime industry by supporting our distributers.
Lemina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2010, 06:04 AM   #7
Arnold
Pirate Treasure Chest

Princess Mononoke is one of the best animated movies I've ever seen. The film looks astounding, not just from a technical standpoint, but the art direction and some of the sights and scenes are amazing to behold. The characters are wonderfully fleshed out, and the story itself is extremely well written, with a lot of complexity and moral gray area. I like that this is an environmental film that dares to -not- take the easy way out and say "Earth good, industrialization bad". Instead, it actually takes the middle ground and shows how complicated the issue can be. Yes it's good to preserve nature, but at what cost to humanity's growth?

I did also like Kiki's Delivery Service, Totoro, Spirited Away, and Castle of Cagliostro, though PM remains my favorite.

- Sniper King theme, One Piece
Animenation-Godzilla says Hi!
Anime watched in 2014: 31 (6 shows)
Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2010, 06:09 AM   #8
Lemina
Magic Caster / S-Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold View Post
Princess Mononoke is one of the best animated movies I've ever seen. The film looks astounding, not just from a technical standpoint, but the art direction and some of the sights and scenes are amazing to behold. The characters are wonderfully fleshed out, and the story itself is extremely well written, with a lot of complexity and moral gray area. I like that this is an environmental film that dares to -not- take the easy way out and say "Earth good, industrialization bad". Instead, it actually takes the middle ground and shows how complicated the issue can be. Yes it's good to preserve nature, but at what cost to humanity's growth?

I did also like Kiki's Delivery Service, Spirited Away, and Castle of Cagliostro, though PM remains my favorite.
I wholeheartedly agree. Everything Miyazaki did here made this one of the best films of all-time. Among Dreamworks films, it is still highly regarded among people who aren't even into anime.

Speaking of which, another anime series called Earth Girl Arjuna tries to convey what Princess Mononoke tried to do about the environment and the Earth feeling the pain of what man has done to the world. If you enjoyed this film, I would totally recommend Arjuna!!
Say NO to bootlegs or illegal downloads. Help the Anime industry by supporting our distributers.
Lemina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2010, 12:23 PM   #9
loplop
has a Anime Milf fetish . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by superplough View Post
I don't know anyone who's seen the Ghibli movies that doesn't like them..
Well you can count me as one. I find the movies of Kon Satoshi & Oshii Mamoru far superior . . . .

loplop's Anime List
: loplop's Figure Collection : loplop's Pixiv Profile : loplop on Twitter

"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it. " - Mark Twain
loplop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2010, 06:55 AM   #10
CakeMonster
Dont worry Im freindly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Reaver View Post
...I think that was the point.

Kiki's delivery service is my favourite Ghibli film, not sure why though I just find it charming (and Jiji sounds alot like Squidward in the dub )
Yes it does but the guy who voice acts jiji died (dub) towards the end of the film which is why at the end it says RIP Paul (i have forgotten the name) but further in the credits i realised it was jiji

But i very much appreciate studio ghibli
Favorite film:
Cat returns
Old March 5th, 2013, 07:18 PM   #11
Flick Fanatics

From Up On Poppy Hill (review)

new film review for the upcoming full length feature from studio ghibli. thanks for checking it out!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2lGV...QT7Ebk&index=6
Flick Fanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2013, 10:55 AM   #12
AzumangaXV

(Grave of the Fireflies)

Last edited by Holy Knight; June 13th, 2013 at 03:50 PM.
AzumangaXV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2013, 02:12 PM   #13
Leader Desslock
I blue up my flagship. HA! GET IT?!

^ You might want to put that in spoiler tags.
Old June 13th, 2013, 05:10 PM   #14
Hiroshimafuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemina View Post
another anime series called Earth Girl Arjuna tries to convey what Princess Mononoke tried to do about the environment and the Earth feeling the pain of what man has done to the world
Except that Arjuna was extremely heavy-handed in it's message. It's a series that comes out and says "It's wrong of humans to do anything at all to improve agricultural yields" without stopping for a moment to consider how many people alive right now have to die for that to be a sustainable food system. There's also the necessary drop in cultural development by putting relatively so much more of humanity's resources into producing far fewer necessities, and while you can make a case for that still being the right option, the first thing that has to go in that world is CGI-filled television animation, so it felt a little weird having the show trying to cram that message down the viewers' throats.

I don't think there's been any other anime I was so excited about initially which later completely killed my desire to watch it. Mononoke's message of "yeah, the situation sucks and any course of action will have some tragic consequences, but we can't go 100% either way."
Hiroshimafuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2013, 08:21 PM   #15
radiator123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiroshimafuu View Post
I don't think there's been any other anime I was so excited about initially which later completely killed my desire to watch it. Mononoke's message of "yeah, the situation sucks and any course of action will have some tragic consequences, but we can't go 100% either way."
That's the appeal of Mononoke though - it's like Miyazaki shows us the gravity of the problem and then tells us that he doesn't have the answer. The film ends in some sort of impasse, where the conflict is merely suspended, not resolved. It's interesting that Ashitaka is freed from his curse, so presumably he no longer has the magical power to mutilate people. Perhaps this means that he too can no longer have a "sacred" relationship with the forest, where he literally feels the pain and anger of its anthropomorphized animals. That's over. He is more detached, and must find another path.
radiator123 is offline   Reply With Quote