AnimeNation Forums

Go Back   AnimeNation Forums > Official Forums > AnimeNation.com

AnimeNation.com Ordering and product questions, suggestions and feedback for the AnimeNation Store.

Old April 26th, 2011, 11:07 PM   #46
ninemil
Aspiring author and artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by old hat View Post
Mina is more complicated than that. She is a contradictory character. She is the shy, lonely, moe girl and the Queen of the Damned at the same time. I think a lot of her character revolves around her contradictory attributes. She isn't either a kind, gentle girl or a ruler that makes hard, cold decisions. She's both at once.
Oh no, you misunderstand me - I agree totally, which is why I'd want Akira to do it for her. She is all those darker things as well as the lost little girl, but my desires are more based around a wish to not see her have to be as such. Along with Akira's desire to protect her. I love his character for that, in the sense that in being as such, he isn't just another bland hero figure. He is complicated, is realistically tarred, and is very much at odds with himself as well, without being two dimensional and predictable at the same time. The Saga arc was brilliant.

At the end of the day, he's a nice guy at heart, and I love the pairing when despite everything else, he gets to show himself as such.

Fanart & Fanfiction
Studio Nine Sparrows
Old April 26th, 2011, 11:44 PM   #47
old hat
Insert clever title here

If she were merely one or the other, she would be a much weaker, less interesting character. It's her contradictions and complexity that make her interesting. I almost dropped it entirely early on. It was the complexity of Mina's character and her relationship with Akira that kept me reading. Without that, it would have followed He Is My master into the Goodwill collection bin. Akira started out a bit flat and one note but the Saga arc fleshed out his character. He still isn't as well developed as she is imo. I think his character and his relationship with Mina will get some important development in the coming arc.

I think they will wind up together in the end but there will be much hardship and dramatic conflict before that happens. I have thought that since volume 1.
"Science isn't about authority or white coats; it's about following a method. That method is built on core principles: precision and transparency; being clear about your methods; being honest about your results; and drawing a clear line between the results, on the one hand, and your judgment calls about how those results support a hypothesis." Ben Goldacre
Old April 27th, 2011, 12:09 AM   #48
Jatz
No user serviceable parts inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninemil View Post
They have semi-naked teenage girls splattered across the K-ON CD singles - other than the obviously questionable undertone of watching hour upon hour of stupid little girls, behaving like stupid little girls, I don't actually remember K-ON being a lolita show either... Lesson to be taken from this? The covers, OPs and EDs generally mean absolutely nothing.
But Bund did have, at one point, loli nudity in it. So it is indicative of the content, to a certain point.
Quote:
A scene doesn't have to lack story significance to be controversial. I don't agree that scene is entirely desexualized and sterile either. There is a definitely a sexual element to the scene. That's a fetish too. I don't find it titillating but some do.

Her treatment does serve a story purpose and it's important to her development. She doesn't have to be shown like that for the scene to work though. It's a shocking scene and highly charged. There are sexual undertones there. There are a lot of things going on in that scene and some would not be apparent if it were taken in isolation but the imagery is what it is.
I didn't think it was sexual at all.
Old April 27th, 2011, 12:10 AM   #49
ninemil

Quote:
I think they will wind up together in the end but there will be much hardship and dramatic conflict before that happens. I have thought that since volume 1.
I tend to agree, but do wonder what it will spell for the vampires as a race. It'll be a tricky one for Nozomu to handle without coming up with something overly convenient and fantastical, or too harsh to maintain suspension of disbelief. Akira raising someone else's child I can see, but Akira playing father to a vampire as a werewolf? No, not so much. I suppose there’s always Aunty Vera, lol :p Some time in her past history with Lucretia would be appreciated before the story closes. She seems like such a rich character in her own right; you have to wonder where her time with Lucretia ended, and her time with Francesca began, or if it even happened in that order?

Hmm… what else… Lost vampire Prince does the good deed, but steps aside in the face of true love? meh, not appealing, and too damaging to the core pairing in its implications. This will be a hard one for Nozomu to tie up, to be sure, unless he leaves them tragically enduring the status quo.

And there's the not so small issue of Yuki too... Poor ***** :/

Fanart & Fanfiction
Studio Nine Sparrows
Old April 27th, 2011, 12:42 AM   #50
old hat
Insert clever title here

I'm guessing it will be some sort of technological solution. They have advanced biotech and nanotech in the setting. She could be fertilized with her own genetic material at least in theory. With their nanotech, it should be possible. She will raise her own child. Well maybe not but it's possible.

Vera could be developed a great deal more but I wonder if there will be space for that. A great deal about her past has been hinted at. More complicated backstories have been hinted at for several of the supporting characters. One of the major things yet to be really revealed is exactly what happened when her mother died.

As for Yuki, I think she has long since realized that it isn't in the cards for her and Akira. I think she will get a happy ending though. She's too sympathetic not to get one.
"Science isn't about authority or white coats; it's about following a method. That method is built on core principles: precision and transparency; being clear about your methods; being honest about your results; and drawing a clear line between the results, on the one hand, and your judgment calls about how those results support a hypothesis." Ben Goldacre
Old April 30th, 2011, 09:36 AM   #51
ninemil

Quote:
I'm guessing it will be some sort of technological solution. They have advanced biotech and nanotech in the setting. She could be fertilized with her own genetic material at least in theory. With their nanotech, it should be possible. She will raise her own child. Well maybe not but it's possible.
I was trying to avoid being too obvious with the end of nine, combined with the end of the anime, but since you've gone there...

Anyway, better if we keep anything else following in spoiler tags from here on in methinks.

Fanart & Fanfiction
Studio Nine Sparrows
Old April 30th, 2011, 11:17 AM   #52
DarkNataku

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninemil View Post
I was trying to avoid being too obvious with the end of nine, combined with the end of the anime, but since you've gone there...

Anyway, better if we keep anything else following in spoiler tags from here on in methinks.
As long as someone is not controlled by another lord or the piper, Mina can order them to do anything so it won't be all chaos.

A woman needs two animals, the horse of her dreams and a jackass to pay for it.

Last edited by DarkNataku; April 30th, 2011 at 11:20 AM.
Old April 30th, 2011, 11:50 AM   #53
ninemil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNataku View Post
As long as someone is not controlled by another lord or the piper, Mina can order them to do anything so it won't be all chaos.

Fanart & Fanfiction
Studio Nine Sparrows
Old April 30th, 2011, 11:52 AM   #54
ninemil

Volume 10 back-cover blurb;

Fanart & Fanfiction
Studio Nine Sparrows
Old April 30th, 2011, 02:13 PM   #55
DarkNataku

A woman needs two animals, the horse of her dreams and a jackass to pay for it.
Old April 30th, 2011, 08:46 PM   #56
old hat
Insert clever title here

Funny looking post. All that verbiage and so small...
Old April 30th, 2011, 10:34 PM   #57
ninemil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNataku View Post

Fanart & Fanfiction
Studio Nine Sparrows
Old April 30th, 2011, 10:43 PM   #58
ninemil

Fanart & Fanfiction
Studio Nine Sparrows
Old May 2nd, 2011, 01:57 PM   #59
Siendra

I'm looking at a listing for it with a Canadian retailer right now, and I know another retailer that has the manga volumes. So I can't see there being a problem.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 10:29 PM   #60
Arch-Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siendra View Post
I'm looking at a listing for it with a Canadian retailer right now, and I know another retailer that has the manga volumes. So I can't see there being a problem.
I know, at first I looked some canadian retailers and there was nothing but it's because I was too early, about one or two weeks ago it appeared in pre-order at a few retailers so that was the answer to my question basically.