AnimeNation Forums

Go Back   AnimeNation Forums > Anime & Related Forums > Anime

Anime Discuss anime stereotypes, characteristics, genres, history and more!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old April 6th, 2013, 09:51 PM   #1
Arch-Defender
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 4,187
Blog Entries: 2
I Need A New Recommendation!

Iím looking for a series that has these elements:

-Bonds of enormous strength between some of the characters: Like comrades whoíve gone through many battles, childhood friends who are closer than brothers/sistersÖ

-Betrayal by someone the heroes used to know. Can either be something that happened a long time ago in the past or during the series. Doesnít have to involve the leads either, can be centered around a secondary character as long as itís an important part of the show. It can also be something like Code Geass or Gundam Seed where itís not so much outright betrayal as two friends pitted against each other by circumstances.

-The nature of oneís fate is questioned. Characters who struggle with their fate, either changing it before it happens or changing a fate that has already befall them.

-A secret organisation acting as the main enemy or being behind the scene and influencing the main enemy or events in the series.

-Psychological elements to the series either with the characters or about the series itself.

-The search for a utopia, or the quest to create a utopia or even better yet: an actual utopia. By utopia I mean a land/city that is a virtual paradise where balance is perfect and order is maintained or at least appears to be so at first.

Notes:

-I donít care about the genre or the era, it can be mecha in space or knights in medieval Europe for all I care. Though while I donít care about the genre, Iím somehow doubtful Iíll be receiving any slice-of-life considering the requirements.

-The art style or the age of the animation are unimportant, all eras and all styles are open.
Arch-Defender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2013, 11:05 PM   #2
Leader Desslock
The Ferret Priestess Of Uranus
 
Leader Desslock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 15,544
Most of your criteria scream "One Piece" to me, but I don't have a good recommendation to give you off the top of my head beyond that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-Defender View Post
-The search for a utopia, or the quest to create a utopia or even better yet: an actual utopia. By utopia I mean a land/city that is a virtual paradise where balance is perfect and order is maintained or at least appears to be so at first.
If you haven't checked out the Appleseed Manga (not the anime), you probably should. It's the closest I've seen to utopian/dystopian literature in anime/manga.

The anime is watered-down, poorly-written eye candy that has all of the depth and directorial flaws of Michael Bay on a bad day. Avoid it.

I would also be interested to hear a recommendation of utopian/dystopian work, provided it was something with actual depth (i.e.: Appleseed manga) and not... for want of a better example, Code Geass. If it doesn't at least aspire to the level of Death Note, don't bother recommending it to me.

EDIT: I'm certainly not holding up Death Note as an example of superior storytelling; its cat-and-mouse aspect was written well, is all. I think if you're going to present utopian/dystopian themes and be taken seriously, the writing has to be at least at that level, and not, say, at the spoon-fed, check-your-brain-at-the-door level of Code Geass, Speed Grapher, or the Appleseed animation.
__________________
No, I won't condemn anyone for putting ketchup on a hot dog. This is the land of the free. And if someone wants to put ketchup on a hot dog and actually eat the awful thing, that is their right...
Sure, it would be disgusting and perverted, and they would be shaming themselves and their loved ones. But under our system of government, it is their right to be barbarians.

~Mike Royko

Last edited by Leader Desslock; April 6th, 2013 at 11:21 PM.
Leader Desslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2013, 11:29 PM   #3
Levo
Happy Halloween
 
Levo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Animenation
Posts: 12,799
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood fits.
__________________
MyAnimeList
Avatar: Wendy Marvell Fairy Tail

"My job is to support everyone, but when I have to fight, I become the Sky Dragon!" - Wendy
Levo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2013, 12:01 AM   #4
Arch-Defender
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 4,187
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levon View Post
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood fits.
Because of an earlier recommendation thread I made, I already bought the series on BD; it's on my plan to watch list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leader Desslock View Post
I would also be interested to hear a recommendation of utopian/dystopian work, provided it was something with actual depth...
Its unorthodox for someone to recommend a series in his own recommendation thread, but in light of your request I guess I can recommend Ergo Proxy to you if you haven't seen it. It's in a post apocalyptic future and starts out in a utopian domed city and is themetically meaty. And I also didn't like it, which raises the chances you'll like it imo. Well to be fair the first 6 episodes were great, the rest, not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leader Desslock View Post
Code Geass
For reference to those who wish to recommend me a work concerning a utopia, Code Geass would fall under the "Attempting to create a utopia" category, as this was Lelouch, Schneizel, Charles, Suzaku and Nunnally's ultimate goal in retrospect.


Edit: I'm already watching One Piece and although I've taken a small break from it at the moment I do plan on continuing.

Last edited by Arch-Defender; April 7th, 2013 at 12:07 AM.
Arch-Defender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2013, 12:20 AM   #5
Leader Desslock
The Ferret Priestess Of Uranus
 
Leader Desslock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 15,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-Defender View Post
Its unorthodox for someone to recommend a series in his own recommendation thread, but in light of your request I guess I can recommend Ergo Proxy to you if you haven't seen it. It's in a post apocalyptic future and starts out in a utopian domed city and is themetically meaty. And I also didn't like it, which raises the chances you'll like it imo.
I'll take a look, and yeah, I understand the inherent difficulty we have in recommending titles to one another. Infinite Ryvius was one of those rare overlap titles for us, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-Defender View Post
For reference to those who wish to recommend me a work concerning a utopia, Code Geass would fall under the "Attempting to create a utopia" category, as this was Lelouch, Schneizel, Charles, Suzaku and Nunnally's ultimate goal in retrospect.
I would agree here. From my perspective (having studied utopian/dystopian lit from Plato's Republic through the works of Goldman, Huxley, Swift, Hitler - yes, THAT Hitler - Gilman, L'Engle, Atwood, Orwell, and a hundred others)... Code Geass is unsubtle pabulum for the Shounen Jump crowd. It's no deeper in the utopian/dystopian sense than One Piece. But yeah, it's the right idea. I'm just looking specifically for something written beyond the level of a fifth-grader. So if anyone has recommendations along those lines, that'd be great.
__________________
No, I won't condemn anyone for putting ketchup on a hot dog. This is the land of the free. And if someone wants to put ketchup on a hot dog and actually eat the awful thing, that is their right...
Sure, it would be disgusting and perverted, and they would be shaming themselves and their loved ones. But under our system of government, it is their right to be barbarians.

~Mike Royko

Last edited by Leader Desslock; April 7th, 2013 at 01:11 AM.
Leader Desslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2013, 03:54 AM   #6
Ohiotaku
eyes without a face
 
Ohiotaku's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: in the midst of an identity crisis
Posts: 1,252
Except for the Utopia part, sounds like Penguin Drum would be a perfect match (believe I recommended this before). It can be quite bizzare though (like FLCL or Utena) and some elements of the relationships can be disturbing/offensive.

For older series, I would recommend Clamp's X, Noein & R.O.D. TV (though things don't really come together until the second half).

I would also recommend Hero Tales, even though it's pretty cliche/stereotypical in a lot of ways.
__________________
Current Avatar: Yoshida from Blood Lad
"He's a real nowhere man, Sitting in his nowhere land, Making all his nowhere plans for nobody" The Beatles

Last edited by Ohiotaku; April 7th, 2013 at 04:05 AM.
Ohiotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2013, 04:32 AM   #7
KZK
Dark Evil
 
KZK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 317
Red Garden/Dead Girls

Noein, To Your Other Self

Tweeny Witches

Most of these have a lot of what you are seeking:

Trigun

Noir
X
Fractale

TEXHNOLYZE

Revolutionary Girl, Utena/Adolescence Of Utena

Daphne, In the Brilliant Blue
Gasaraki

Shakugan No Shana

Tekkonkinkreet
__________________
͈Iʇ٬s ɔɥəɐd ʇo աɐ!uʇɐ!u ר!əs ɐup əxdəus!ʌə ʇo աɐ!uʇɐ!u ⊥ɹʌʇɥ˙ ͈
--ʞzʞ٬s Wɐx!ա

Last edited by KZK; April 7th, 2013 at 05:58 AM.
KZK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2013, 06:32 AM   #8
ZeroRyoko1974
Mr. Zeroryoko1974 to you
 
ZeroRyoko1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Akina
Posts: 11,739
What about Jormungand?
Bakuman
Claymore (well except for the latter part of the anime)
Summer Wars
Fate/Zero
Kemono no Souja Erin
__________________
My Anime List Figures "It wont enix has been better then sqare since after snes we still remain sqaresoft just because of snes days." kulitsky33

Last edited by ZeroRyoko1974; April 7th, 2013 at 06:35 AM.
ZeroRyoko1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2013, 04:13 PM   #9
goddessofanime
in your internets watching you
 
goddessofanime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Pennslytucky
Posts: 22,471
Blog Entries: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-Defender View Post
Iím looking for a series that has these elements:

-Bonds of enormous strength between some of the characters: Like comrades whoíve gone through many battles, childhood friends who are closer than brothers/sistersÖ
X
Psycho Pass


Quote:
-The nature of oneís fate is questioned. Characters who struggle with their fate, either changing it before it happens or changing a fate that has already befall them.
This pretty much is the premise of Psycho Pass.

Quote:
-A secret organisation acting as the main enemy or being behind the scene and influencing the main enemy or events in the series.
See above.

Also: K

Quote:
-Psychological elements to the series either with the characters or about the series itself.

-The search for a utopia, or the quest to create a utopia or even better yet: an actual utopia. By utopia I mean a land/city that is a virtual paradise where balance is perfect and order is maintained or at least appears to be so at first.

Psycho Pass fits this completely.
__________________
hello lamp. hello pants!
goddessofanime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2013, 05:34 PM   #10
DazarGaidin
=^..^=
 
DazarGaidin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: WV, USA
Posts: 10,717
Blog Entries: 10
Spice and Wolf
Scrapped Princess
Kurau Phantom Memory
Legend of the Legendary Legends..err Heroes
Place Promised in our Early Days
Letter Bee, if you can stand the whiny main boy (I couldn't).

Last edited by DazarGaidin; April 7th, 2013 at 05:42 PM.
DazarGaidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2013, 04:52 AM   #11
Sauron
Dark Lord of Baradur
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 121
Guin Saga but some of the aspects are only slightly touched upon (as the anime represents a small part of the greater work).
Sauron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2013, 05:57 PM   #12
Arch-Defender
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 4,187
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiotaku View Post
Except for the Utopia part, sounds like Penguin Drum would be a perfect match (believe I recommended this before). It can be quite bizzare though (like FLCL or Utena)...
I think I remember you recommending it before as well. The only one of those two I've seen is Utena, I have no idea what FLCL is about aside from hearing people say it's one weird show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiotaku View Post
...and some elements of the relationships can be disturbing/offensive.
It takes a lot to disturb/offend me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiotaku View Post
For older series, I would recommend Clamp's X, Noein & R.O.D. TV (though things don't really come together until the second half).
I wasn't a big fan of X, though I haven't seen the other two. There's an OVA to R.O.D, should I see it first?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroRyoko1974 View Post
What about Jormungand?
Bakuman
Claymore (well except for the latter part of the anime)
Summer Wars
Fate/Zero
Kemono no Souja Erin
I've seen Claymore and I'm waiting for Fate/Zero's dub since they decided to make one. Jormungand and Kemono no Souja Erin look promising though.


Goddessofanime: Iíve been interested in Psycho Pass since it was first announced, since FUNi is also releasing it Iíll certainly check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazarGaidin View Post
Spice and Wolf
Scrapped Princess
Kurau Phantom Memory
Legend of the Legendary Legends..err Heroes
Place Promised in our Early Days
Letter Bee, if you can stand the whiny main boy (I couldn't).
Scrapped Princess is one of my favorite series. The Place Promised in our Early Days didn't click well with me though. Kurau's premise really grabs me and Legend of the Lengendary Heroes as well as Spice and Wolf look like they could be promising, I think I'll pass on Letter Bee though.


Sauron: About Guin Saga, is the dub as bad as I heard? Last time I considered it I found out the show covers a small portion of the actual story and had an atrocious dub so I passed. I figured it wasnít worth sitting through the dub and an incomplete story of that level probably wasnít worth sitting through the subs but I might be wrong.
Arch-Defender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2013, 06:05 PM   #13
RKOrulez
Is On Vacation
 
RKOrulez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: TX
Posts: 356
Most of what you seem to be asking about sounds like Berserk.
RKOrulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2013, 06:26 PM   #14
Jon
OG
 
Jon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 9,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKOrulez View Post
Most of what you seem to be asking about sounds like Berserk.
I second this. I hesitated to post the recommendation since the anime isn't finished, so he'll have to pick up the manga to continue the story (highly recommended).

Only point that doesn't match up is this:

-The search for a utopia, or the quest to create a utopia or even better yet: an actual utopia. By utopia I mean a land/city that is a virtual paradise where balance is perfect and order is maintained or at least appears to be so at first.
__________________
My Anime List
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2013, 06:35 PM   #15
RKOrulez
Is On Vacation
 
RKOrulez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: TX
Posts: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
I second this. I hesitated to post the recommendation since the anime isn't finished, so he'll have to pick up the manga to continue the story (highly recommended).

Last edited by RKOrulez; April 9th, 2013 at 06:40 PM.
RKOrulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©2014-15 AnimeNationô. All Rights Reserved.